How to Position Rugs Successfully in Every Space of Your Home
Why not personalise your home with rugs? Rugs provide a practical solution for cushion, comfort and warmth over a concrete, tile or wood floor, but they also add aesthetic value. They create the focal point in a room and contribute to the character and mood of a space!!!
Rugs are artwork for the floor and act as the frame to create a well-balanced space.
- Place all parts of the dining table and chairs in their entirety on the rug.
- Chairs should still sit on the rug when pulled away from the table.
Hallways and Foyers
- The rug's width should match the door space. Not too long or too short. Less is more in entrances or transitional spaces that open to other rooms or stairways.
Manias Associates Building Designers
- A round rug should be centered under the light fixture.
- Furniture should be kept off the rug.
- The rug should stretch the full length of the hallway to fill the space leaving even space at both ends for balance.
- Make a statement. It is important to make a good first impression. Entry rugs should reflect the style and personality of the rest of the house.
Living/ Family Rooms
- Position all parts of furniture in their entirety on the rug.
- Allow for a grouping or conversation area by placing some of the furniture (chairs or couch) in its entirety on the rug and remaining furniture with their front legs on the rug so some of the furniture is not on the rug.
- If you prefer to have the rug sit in front of the couch it should run the length or a little longer than the couch.
- In large living rooms, use two rugs to create two separate living areas.
- For a more interesting look try placing the rug on an angle to anchor but not overpower the room.
- For a child's room use shaped rugs in a whimsical pattern to mimic their imagination.
- Forget the low-quality bath mat! Rugs are an excellent alternative in full-size bathrooms. Look for cozy, comfortable and soft materials especially if they are to be used when stepping out of the bath or shower.
For the home office, choose a rug that completely fits both the desk and chair to create a warm space where you’ll feel comfortable at work. For practical purposes, this prevents tripping or chair dragging over the edges of the rug.
Outdoor Entertainment Areas
- The range of attractive and durable outdoor rugs available is now better than ever. Most products are able to be placed in the open. However, if you want your rug to stand the test of time they will perform better if they are positioned in covered areas.